Saturday 24 October 2009

Tour de Tameside

I arranged to meet Gaz at 8am for a nice easy ride of the Floop and then my Park Bridge route. Last night he asked if we could drop the Floop and concentrate on Park Bridge. Not a problem!

Bang on 8am as I stepped outside Gaz had just pulled up on his sexy Ribble, we discussed saddlebags for a little while (I put on the Topeak wedge to show him, usually have my Scicon on Everest) and we set off.

Out through Fairfield past a heritage area (Moravian Settlement) and out to Littlemoss/Daisy Nook and the first 'climb' of the day to Oldham Rd. i could have carried straight over the crossroads but as gaz wasn't feeling 100% I opted for the easier and flatter route to save killing him. So, up Smallshaw past the evil Vicarage, then onto another longish gradual climb to Alt Hill Lane and the start of the ace descent through Park Bridge. I'd forewarned Gaz that the going would be treacherous round here due to the rain slick tarmac, extreme leaf litter, cow shit (several farms along here) and the field run-off. Boy, was it lethal! We took it real slow which took the edge of the greatness of the descent, but it did mean we got to live another day!

I pointed out one of my hill rep hills to whimpers from Gaz and a huge sigh of relief from him once I'd said we weren't going up it. Onto Daisy Nook where the sexy Ribble got dirty (poor Gaz) and round to the cafe. After being there for a few minutes an MTBer on a sweet full sus Trek arrived and after asking us where we'd been, he proceeded to regale us with tales of his rides and his mates steeds (even telling us that his bike was nearly 2k and on one ride there were 20-20k worth of bikes). At this point gaz disappeared into his own world (don't blame you!) and I just abouts managed to keep up with the chat. Bit strange though that an MTBer would just blather on at 2 roadies like that. We than got bearated by him for taking the roadies along the singletrack/canal path. Why? the beasts are more than capable of handling them!

Anyway. Up Joby's 'mountain' which Gaz seemed to make it look like hard work (soz Gaz), while I pootled up it. Back up to Oldham Rd and down through Ashton town centre to the huge (and often lethal) Lidl roundabout where we went our separate ways: Gaz straight on to climb up through Dukinfield; myself turning right to Park Parade and sprint training alongside a police car.

After beating the cop car from a standing start to the stupid one way system I swooped and swooped some more before another sprinty bit to another stupid one way system. More swooping followed by sprinting meant that I was getting in some good training for the track champs in December (can't afford to get on the track at the moment to train).

Final mile to home was taken as a sprint for me; tucked up swooping through the contraflows was a little scary at times, but I made it safe and sound.
Stats -
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=24235
Miles: 13.92
Average speed: 13.2mph
Max speed: 185.9mph (apparantly!)
Sprinting max: 23.8mph (thanks to the pc balls up I had to keep looking at the pc. It was most likely more than stated above.)
Climbed: 459ft

4 comments:

  1. TBH Joby 'mountain' was fine, Im pretty suprised to hear I looked like I was making hard work, my only fault was I was in too LOW of a gear LOL

    Thanks again, look forward to doing it again at somepoint, minus the MTBer hopfully

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may've been in the wrong gear yeah. TBH I wasn't really looking that hard. It could purely be cos when you stand up you rock the back sideways a fair bit which is a sign that people are working hard.

    I used to do that a lot until I got onto the track and learnt it wastes energy. Now I keep the bike fairly upright and pump like pistons!

    I've never seen him there before, so maybe he takes it in turns with his friends tomeet at various places. Just lemme know when you're free on a morning again. i should be ok for the majority of them tbh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High cadence helps but you need strength too......so how to train???If you figure it out let me know...I prefer to sit and spin but you run out of spin eventually

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think your spot on, I was in too low of a gear, but I always rick my bike, dunno why, It wasnt struggling, just felt like shouting at the top LOL, gonna pay attention about not rocking it when standing and see if that helps the speed/look

    ReplyDelete