Friday 31 July 2009

July review

July, again was a good month for riding for me with getting a new PB in an event and getting some good miles in.

Distance covered: 209 miles
Days ridden: 9
Event: 1 - Manchester to Blackpool 4:13:27 PB
Middleton CC: 26/7 to Bleak Hey Nook
Chorlton Wanderers: no, as I was riding mcr-bpl
Hill climbs/repeats: not as a stand alone thing. A few rides have been very hilly to make up for it.

Although my mileage is down on last month I did get back into Trio's century challenge with the Manchester to Blackpool ride bringing 76.32 (route and to & from the start) miles into play. The 2 most notably hilly rides were both 30 miles long with 1063ft and 994ft of climbing respectively and only a few days apart.

Something, somehow has been going right since my accident. Despite the hill training kind of tailing off I still seem to be getting much better at it than I was at the start of the year. maybe it's something to do with the first stint back on the back was a hill rep; maybe I've mentally matured to the point where no damn hill is going to stop me getting where I want to be. Who knows? All I know is that I seem to be going in the right direction.

August is going to be an interesting month as I'll be using it to try and keep the longer rides up in preparation for the Manchester 100, plus some good rides with my club to Sowerby Bridge and Chorlton Wanderers to Great Budworth. Hopefully I'll be able to get in some good routes that I've found on mapmyride too. Oh, and maybe I'll get over to Staffs and try to ride cat and fiddle and axe edge, just to see if I would be able to take part in the CFT Cat & Fiddle Challenge.

4 comments:

  1. The hills coming out of Sowerby Bridge almost finished me and the bike off the other week.

    If you're comfortable riding those monster fells then you're not going to have any trouble on the cat and fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think hills are more mental than anything. Although the biggest difference to me is my weight, hence worrying about transwales, I am heavier this year than last - but I can't stop eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trio - My weight isn't going to help either - I'm no stick insect although I have lost some weight, plus I ride a steel machine. Having said that, I am riding more hilly rides than last year now, so starting out again on hill reps after my injury has helped, obviously!

    Red - I've not even attempted to get to Sowerby Bridge yet. The club ride will be the first time I'll have ridden that way. So far Standedge is the worst hill I've climbed in terms of length and average gradient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Search out the route that the Pennine Cycleway (route 68) leaves Soweby Bridge via the station and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete