Friday 3 July 2009

Am I mad?

I think I may have lost my mind. I'm contemplating entering the CF Trust's Cat and Fiddle 55 mile challenge with Mr Sean Kelly and about 1500 others.

The event takes place October 4th and starts at Brian Rourke's and goes through Staffs, Cheshire, Derbyshire and the Peak District including the infamous 7 mile long climb.

Anyone who knows me (or knows of me through this blog) knows exactly how pants I am on hills and how I'm more likely to run away from them rather than dance up them. But you know, maybe, just maybe this is what i need to get better at them?

I've asked for info to be sent to me anyway and I'll decide once I've got that and once Manchester to Blackpool is out of the way.

4 comments:

  1. You don't need to worry about this route.

    The route is pancake flat for the first 30ish miles then you go up the Cat, which ISN'T steep, just long.

    You eventually drop into Leek and then you get a few short steeper hills (still under 10% max) to the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going off my past hill experiences, you think I'd be ok on it?

    I'd defo want to get out there and ride the route before the event anyway so i know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. But the route should be well within your grasp.

    Have a look at this post of mine.
    http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/05/derwent-100.html
    The first pic of of the Cat and Fiddle climb. It isn't steep. I have no trouble getting the fixie up there!

    Axe edge, again isn't majorly steep, it's just long. Pick a low gear and chug up slowly and you'll find it easy.

    I've just had a quick play on mapmyride and a loop out from your place via Cheadle, Wilmslow, Macclesfield, over the Cat to Buxton, Whalley Bridge, Hazel Grove and back is only 57 miles; and the cat is the only hill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From playing on mapmyride, it looks like Cat and Fiddle is similar gradient to a hill I ride occasionally near me, but is twice, maybe three times as long as my hill. Axe Edge is, again, similar gradient just very, very long.

    It does seem slightly more possible than I first realised. Besides, I've got until October 4th to get better at looooong climbs too.

    ReplyDelete